Districts 3B and 3C Redistricting Ad Hoc Committee hosting Sharing Sessions to discuss proposal to redistrict 3B/3C.
What is a Sharing Session?
“The purpose of a Sharing Session is to fill a need for improved communication among Area committee, Districts, and Groups, thereby strengthening services in A.A. through cooperation …”
Sharing Sessions completed.
Please see the group sharing resource links at the bottom of the page.
3B/3C Redistricting Ad Hoc Committee Objective
Our task is to determine how to redistrict groups in Austin geographically containing the right number of groups— right in terms of the committee member’s ability to keep in frequent touch with them, to learn their problems, and to find ways to contribute to their growth and well-being.
How we got here
Our districts 3b & 3c mission statement posted on our website— “To carry the AA message to the alcoholic who still suffers. We do this by fostering the Austin area AA Groups by providing and informing the AA Community of service opportunities. We are the essential link between the group GSR and the area delegate to the GSC.”
We have 84+ groups registered in 3b and 3c. Currently we have an average of 25 GSR’s representing their groups at district meetings. The issues/problems:
- Limited Service Committee work occurs at the district level due to the overwhelming task of communicating with the 84+ groups.
- Tried to be two districts functioning as one and it no longer works for the size that we are.
- Running out of time at district meetings for GSR’s to give reports and to collaborate on problems & solutions. Concerns regarding the number of groups and how difficult it is for DCM’s to visit often enough to involve in district activities.
- Lack of communication and participation due to growth in the Austin Fellowship.
- November, 2013—District Inventory revealed appearance of arising problems
- September 2015—Sharing Session; shared experience & ideas to consider the possible need to redistrict
- November 2015—District Inventory with overwhelming response for a needed change
- January 2016—District appoints ADHOC committee to provide a proposal for redistricting
- September 2016—Committee presents proposal for GSR’s to take to groups
- October – November, 2016—Sharing sessions to be held at 5 group locations around Austin
- December 2016—Ballots mailed to GSR’s or primary contact from all registered groups in 3B & 3C
- February 2017— District meeting, count ballots for approval on proposed new districts
Resources material to share with group
Revised flyer for the Districts 3B and 3C Redistricting Ad Hoc Committee Proposal … Redistricting flyer [PDF]
Presentation from the Districts 3B and 3C Redistricting Ad Hoc Committee … Redistricting presentation [PDF]
General Service Office Service Material guidelines … How to Conduct a Sharing Session [PDF]
“The term ‘informed group conscience’ implies that pertinent information has been studied and all views have been heard before the group votes.” The A.A. Group Pamphlet, P-16, pg 29